Thursday, January 31, 2008

Santana to the Mets

Since I have been in such a Super Bowl daze over the past two weeks, I haven't even mentioned the news that broke on Tuesday afternoon. Everyone at this point knows this, but I'll announce it like it is breaking news.

Johan Santana, who everyone believed was heading either to the Bronx or Beantown, is actually going to Queens. Santana is working on a deal with the Mets and pending a physical and the legal/monetary mumbo jumbo, will be the number one starter in the Mets rotation. He will be the toast of the less famous and talked about New York team.

What do I think? Well, like any Red Sox fan I would have loved to see a rotation including Santana, Beckett, Matsuzaka, Schilling and Wakefield. I mean who wouldn't?

But at the same time, why fix what isn't broken? We won a World Series and of course you want to improve your team, but trading players who were essential in helping you team win it all? That’s hard and that’s why the deal, I speculate, didn’t go down. I would have hated to see Ellsbury go, a rising star with quick legs and a quick bat and Lester is proving to shape up into a solid pitcher and I would think that the big guys at the Sox felt the same.

Well here is the upside; he is going to the National League. We won’t be facing him except during interleague and never in the playoffs unless we make it to the Series. He didn’t go to the Evil Empire and we have the same team that brought the trophy home to us.

Disappointing? Maybe. Devastating? Not at all. Plus, you never know what will happen. Trades fall through and people back out. I’ll post again when it is official.

2 comments:

Candice said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Candice said...

I totally agree. Santana would have been a great addition to Boston, but as long as he's in the NL it's not a huge threat. And I love Ellsbury too. Not to mention the awesomeness that is Papelbon.